Sunday, October 3, 2010

Turnip gratin

Do you like potato gratin? I know I do but the carb count is much to high for me. I used turnips instead, I like it better! Here's what I did.
Turnip gratin

3 or 4 good sized turnips skinned and sliced thin
2 tablespoons butter
cream maybe 1/2 cup
1 1/2 cups cheese I used gouda this time
tablespoon small diced onion
pinch of salt
pepper to taste
parmesan if you want

Heat butter in a skillet and saute the sliced turnips covered with a pinch of salt, go easy on the salt because the cheese your going to layer it with later is salty. Soften the turnips without getting to much color. You can skip this step but I prefer to soften the turnips before assembling the gratin.
In a buttered casserole dish add 2 tablespoons of cream in the bottom and swirl around then add a layer of sauteed turnips, a bit of diced onion, half a cup of cheese, couple tablespoons of cream, and lots of pepper, then make another layer. Mine has 3 layers end with cheese on top with a bit of parmesan if you want. It would be good with some diced ham, or bacon too or even pepperoni added.

bake on 350 for 30 minutes until nicely browned, let cool before serving.

A wonderful fall side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment