Friday, October 22, 2010

Forgotten cookies (low carb)

These cookies are another recipe from my childhood, I remember my mother putting these in the oven in the evening and taking them out of in the morning. They are so worth the wait.
Forgotten cookies

2 egg whites (I made mayo with the yolks)
1/3 cup of truvia
1 tablespoon polydextrose (not necessary if you don't have)
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/4 cup chopped chocolate (I used lindt 85%)

Heat oven to 350, whip egg whites with the salt and vanilla in a metal or glass bowl free of grease residue adding the truvia mixed with the polydextrose (if you have it) a bit at a time. Whip to stiff peaks, gently fold in the nuts and chocolate. Drop spoonfuls on a foil lined cookie sheet. Put the cookies in the oven and turn it off leaving them undisturbed overnight or 6-8 hours hence the name forgotten cookies. It's best not to make these in rainy weather because they don't get quite as crisp, coincidentally we had a sprinkling of rain overnight so mine didn't get as crisp as I like. I'm thinking they would be great crumbled over my homemade ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment