Friday, December 17, 2010

Fried walnuts

Easy to make but a bit time consuming, basically keeping an eye on them while they're on the stove. I made these when I was in the kitchen preparing other things. I took two cups of walnuts, rinsed with cool water then into a sauce pan covered with water and simmer for 2 hours, drain and rinse, put into a bowl adding two tablespoons of sugar free honey, a couple tablespoons of isomalt, 1/2 teaspoon of molasses, and a pinch of sea salt, stir and let soak in for a few minutes meanwhile heat some peanut oil in a saucepan to 350, I used a probe thermometer, add walnuts and fry till nicely browned maybe 5-7 minutes be careful not to burn them, the trick is to evaporate the water and brown just enough. Crispy and burnt sugar tasting kind of like kettle corn.
I had a hard time getting a good picture maybe because they're so dark finally I held them in front of the rain stained window.

No comments:

Post a Comment