Sunday, November 21, 2010

Beef jerky

I wanted to make beef jerky for a couple of weeks but have always forgotten to get the meat at the market, well today I remembered at the last minute, I ran back to get a london broil when I was already in line, yes I did make it back before they even started my order, whew!!!
Beef jerky

1 london broil (I'm not sure the size as the trash got thrown out before I checked the package)
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1 teaspoon pappys 50% less salt seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlc powder
1 tablespoon truvia
1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes

Remove all the visible fat then partially freeze the london broil, cut in thin bias cut slices. I pounded the slices a bit with the end of the soy sauce bottle to to make it a little easier to chew. Mix the rest of the ingredients for the marinade and pour on the meat slices layering in a bowl, I prefer not to make a very wet marinade just enough to coat the meat not dripping wet, so I avoid having to pat it dry also I don't want to take away the meat flavor in the marinade. Marinate for a couple of hours or longer. Hang on skewers and rest on the ovens top rack like in the first picture. I let dry for 8 hours with 2 fans on sitting on the oven door, I cycled the oven off and on up to 120 degrees until I went to bed then left the fans on till the morning. You want it dried but not brittle or cooked.
A wonderful meat explosion!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment