Sunday, June 13, 2010

First camping trip of the season

Had a blast! Went to the river, actually the fork of two rivers. I had some trouble with my camera so I didn't get as many pictures as I wanted too. Dinner the first night, grass fed burgers and asparagus with orange peppers and sweet onion. There's olive oil in the picture but I used butter for the veggies. No recipes, just good food!

Burgers with jalapenos over mesquite charcoal.

Avocado was on the menu but I neglected a picture, sometimes I'm so hungry I forget. It was a great easy camp style dinner. The weather was perfect not to hot, not to cold. I had planned our meals pretty well although I hadn't been camping in a while. I had forgotten the silverware also a can opener thank goodness I had brought plastic silverware and we were able to borrow a can opener for a tuna lunch.

Breakfast was fun to make, bacon, almond flour waffles and of course coffee from my new camp percolator. I purchased a new one because my old one was worn out.

Almond flour waffles (or pancakes)
1/2 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons yogurt, sour cream, or buttermilk
2 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon sf torani syrup
2 eggs

I measure the dry ingredients into a baggie to save time for camp cooking. Mix ingredients in a bowl, if it seems thick add a bit more water, cook on stove top waffle iron or regular waffle maker or make pancakes on a griddle.

This Coleman camp stove is 25+ years old and still going strong with my new percolator.

Low carb cooking can be done even camping with minimal preparation and taste delicious! I'm so pleased our trip went so well and I was able the prepare low carb meals without effort. I'm not happy about missing out on some pictures because of my camera. There will be more trips! Happy camping all!

No comments:

Post a Comment