Thursday, June 24, 2010

Clafouti

It kinda tastes like a cross between french toast and fruit pie.

You have to make this! It's a french dessert usually made with cherries, an egg custard and baked in a casserole dish. But you know cherries are high in carbs so I used blueberries instead. When you use other fruits it's called a Flaugnarde.

Right out of the oven I thought it was a little light in color so next time I will put it under the broiler for a minute.

I reworked the recipe here to make it low carb.

Blueberry Clafouti (I mean Flaugnarde)

1-2 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons of slivered almonds
3 eggs
1/4 cup of erythritol
1 teaspoon molasses
pinch of salt
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup water
4 oz cream cheese softened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
powdered erythritol for the sprinkling on top

Butter a baking dish 9 by 13 or equivalent, sprinkle in blueberries and slivered almonds. With a hand mixer beat softened cream cheese adding eggs one at a time. Then the rest of the ingredients except powdered erythritol. Pour over the berries. Bake on 350 for 45 to 50 minutes till a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve warm or cool with a dusting of powdered erythritol.

Can you believe this is low carb! It has a cheesecake quality cold from the fridge. I know what I'm having for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment