Thursday, June 10, 2010

Homemade low carb yogurt...

Is easier to make than you might think.

I put a mixture of cream, milk, and a couple of tablespoons of store bought yogurt in a warm oven overnight and in the morning I had the most delicious homemade low carb yogurt.

Here's what I did:

I added to a sauce pan

3 cups cream
3 cups whole milk

then brought it to 180 degrees using a probe thermometer then cooling it to 110 degrees adding 2-3 tablespoons live culture store bought yogurt. I like it both sweetened and unsweetened so I fill one jar with the plain mixture and sweeten the rest with erythritol, stevia and vanilla to taste. I thicken even further the remaining mixture with a packet of softened gelatin.


I turn the oven on for a couple minutes then turning it off tucking the yogurt under a towel sticking the probe in the middle keeping the temperature close to 110 degrees turning on the oven for a minute if needed, leaving the oven light on the temperature will be fine overnight for yogurt development. The yogurt can develop in 3 1/2 hours you can leave it up to 12-14 hours depending how tart you like it. I don't like it so tart so I cure it for 3 1/2 hours up to 10 hours. I used Fage total which makes a mild flavored yogurt.

I put it in the freezer for an hour in the morning then in the fridge.


Here is some plain yogurt with strawberry chia gel

Here is the gelatin thickened vanilla yogurt

This yogurt is so good, so worth making once or twice a week. I have made different flavors like green tea and jamaica flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment